This week's edition of The Onion introduces us to the version of the Kindle I'd like to buy, down a few paras in their highlights from the CES in Las Vegas.
I decided to change my process for getting queries as I prepared for heading from 2022 into 2023. And here's an updated/revised version of my earlier blog post about querying. THE GUIDELINES: 1. If you don’t follow the guidelines, your query will be deleted, unread and without a response. 2. I'm now using Query Manager, a system that's generally been proven helpful to both agents and authors, and all queries should be submitted via https://querymanager.com/JoshuaBilmes. 3. Once upon a time, I asked only for the query letter, but it's been a long time since queries were sent in #10 business envelopes with an SASE. At this point, I'm not longer accepting paper queries, and I'm asking you to send ten sample pages with your Query Manager query. This will help speed things along, since I can more easily give a "yes" or "no" on borderline queries where the pages themselves are serving as tie-breaker, and I'm less likely to ask for a full m...
It’s an exciting year, with a lot of races that are still considered up in the air and an overall excellent list of nominees. Big picture, it’s hard for me to think of anything that’s a real complete gobsmacking snub, i.e., not just that a great something or other hasn’t been nominated, but that I can readily identify the nomination whose torch I’d blow out with a good explanation why. But for all the excitement and the buzz in the air, I’m frustrated and annoyed and peeved and something something something that there’s a strong sense that One Battle After Another is going to win Best Picture. It’s a good movie, sure. It’s on my top ten . But it isn’t even the best Warner Brothers picture of 2025. One Battle takes an awfully long time to find its footing, and it’s a good movie with some nifty stuff. In five or ten years I’ll be curious to see it again, kind of like how I’m kind of curious to see There Will be Blood. I’m thinking of the car chase scene. I’m ...
At this point, it's hard to see that Borders isn't on the verge of a bankruptcy filing, the best case scenario would be a Chapter 11 that would reorganize into a much smaller company that might have a go if focusing on stores that actually make money, but even that, I can't be real optimistic because same store sales are dropping so fast that a store which makes money today might not in two years. Though we live in a country that does allow companies to spend lots of time going bankrupt and doing it on multiple occasions, witness the airline industry. So what happened? OK, mid 1980s, Borders is one of the best stores around and starting to spread out in Michigan a little and lend out its inventory system. It's a good system. It lets stock sell down, then reorders. One day you might have 0 copies of The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers on the shelf, the next day they'll get 3 in. So everytime you go to Borders, even if it's once a week, you might see a slightly di...
Comments
Post a Comment